Friday, March 25, 2011

Monoliths























"Oil Plant #8 (w/ Tree)"   SOLD
oil on panel, 2011
6" x 6" (15.24cm x 15.24cm)

This painting was just excepted into the 6" Exhibition and Sale (show) at the Randy Higbee Gallery.
The Gallery reports the show promises to be an even greater success than their December show with twice as many artists entering this one. I don't doubt that, there was some terrific art at the last 6" show.

From my Oil Plant series, it was an oil pumping station. I'm told it collected oil from local wells then pumped it, via underground pipes, to various oil refineries around the South Bay. It looked like it was built in the 1930's, although that's an educated guess. I wish I knew more about it.

Here it is seen from a distance, framed by a dead, leafless (read lifeless), tree. The tanks or towers, I'm not sure of their technical name, remind me of ancient stone monoliths from bygone civilizations, silently standing long after it's inhabitants have left, the structure slowly decaying around it.104

For others in this series click 'OIL PLANT' in labels below this post or in 'LABELS' column at right.
Click on image for larger view

No comments:

Post a Comment