Saturday, September 21, 2013

Series - Locomotive - Norfolk Southern 2550

"Norfolk Southern 2550"
oil on panel, 2013
5" x 7" (12.7cm x 17.78cm)

Number six in my New Locomotive Series.

Years of service shows on this old Norfolk Southern locomotive, its low number 2550, tells how long it has been around. It is beat up, rusted and has faded worn paint. No glamour here.

Norfolk Southern bills itself as "The Thoroughbred of Transportation" and this locomotive has earned its reputation as a thoroughbred as well as a work horse. NS locomotives are often called "catfish" by railfans  since the stripes resemble catfish whiskers.(6,245)

2 comments:

  1. Hi David, this is a very atmospheric painting. I like how the "catfish" is emerging from the shadows. You are doing a wonderful job with your locomotive series, your love of trains really shows through. I also really like your series Urban Rivers - very novel and interesting. You have a great eye for rather obscure subject matter which makes for great original paintings.
    Thanks for your very insightful comments on my blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Wendy,
      Thank you, I had to paint this one the moment I saw it. The locomotive series I am really enjoying and experimenting with paint application in different ways. I have six more in the works and will post soon.
      The Urban River series I enjoy too, although not as obscure for me since I see these every day. I paint what I know and see and love.
      Keep painting...

      Delete