Saturday, November 20, 2010

Harbor Line #70 study



















"Harbor Line #70 - study #1"
graphite on paper, 2010
8" x 10" (20.32cm x 25.4cm)


My Pacific Harbor Line series. The #70 shown here in the sunlight running parallel to a bridge, the same bridge in my painting "Rails, Bridge, Refinery" from the post 'Clarity'.85

Click on image for larger view

*Update
My Pacific Harbor Line series. I love these black locomotives with their striking graphics. The #70 shown here running parallel to a railway bridge. This gave me a top heavy composition, perfect for the weighty industrial subject. But to prevent it from becoming too crushing I surrounded the locomotive in a softer focused, airy cushion of light.

2 comments:

  1. My Goodness, I saw this and felt the speed. Although you more often have such detail this one has less but the motion is there. Wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Susan,
    Thank you, and yes, less detail... some things are better said without.
    This graphite study was not about the locomotive as much. Instead, their presence all over the harbor and how they 'push' through the air, a study in motion.

    ReplyDelete