Wednesday, November 24, 2010

House of Cards

"Catalina Pacific Concrete (View from North)"    SOLD
oil on panel, 2010
5" x 7" (12.7cm x 17.78cm)

I love this view from the north. It isolates the narrow side of the plant, showing it's skeletal staircase protruding from the front face. The building seems precarious, unstable against the low foreground walls. The leaning power pole and it's threadlike wires further accentuate that perception. It's a house of cards.86

Click on image for larger view

4 comments:

  1. Great work! I love the mood of this painting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Leah,
    It's one of my favorite subjects, an old industrial building missing it's roof. Unique from this angle and irresistible to paint.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you PfD,
    This building has been there for years, but with the port going through all it's changes and renovations it may not last. I figured I better give it a salute by putting it to paint before it's gone.

    ReplyDelete