Sunday, January 31, 2016

Marker Drawings 25






















































Sketchbook drawings
Sharpie markers bullet and fine point, Prismacolor Premier dual tip warm grey 40% marker, 2016
sketchbook 6" x 8" (15.24cm x 20.32cm)

The final post from this series of black and white and tonal marker drawings.

I started doing these down at Art-A-Fair while sitting in my booth and just kept going.

In total there are 25 posts (25 is such a nice number, ¼ of a hundred but ½ a year for me, see below) , 116 pages (based on my Pinterest pins) x 2 per page - 6 + 1 = 227 individual sketches, representing 4 sketchbooks worth and done over a period of roughly 6 months (180 days) which comes out to 1.26 sketches per day, or 1 ¼ sketch per day.
Hmmmm, just slightly ahead of Aussie blogger friend Wendy Barrett's 30/30 challenge of (only) one painting a day for 30 days or 1.0 per day. ; )
Oh wait... paintings... yeah, she probably spent more time.
Well, then let's call it a draw (pun intended), we're even. 

I had a lot of fun experimenting with very different approaches.

Some were more abstract, some graphic (notan), some tonal using value markers, some tonal through a linear-tonal approach and/or hatching crosshatching and various combinations.
Some I did from life, a small handful from photos, but most were from my imagination, especially the more recent ones.
Most often I went directly into the drawing with marker, no lay-in, other times I did a light pencil or ballpoint pen construction lines of the big shapes.

I preferred the marker directly to the page, have no fear and just start laying it in.
On that note I often worked faster and more intuitively when going direct and would get more fluid results and better shape design. That is about trusting yourself. We usually know more than we think and if we just let it flow we see it on the page in black and white, pun intended.

But my temperament was not always suited to that approach so I also did some more thoughtfully and carefully and was still happy with those too.
All in all it was about sketching for its own sake, no pressure to produce finished work and that is what made it enjoyable, as it should be. If some did not work out it was okay.

Been fun, hope you enjoyed them too. I'm sure I will do and post more but for now that's it.

If you want to see them all on one page visit my Pinterest page and the Markers Sketches board.423,424,425,426,427,428





No comments:

Post a Comment