Thursday, March 6, 2014

HB Power Plant Landscape

"HB Power Plant Landscape"
oil on panel, 2013
6" x 8" (15.24cm x 20.32cm)

Here I painted the Huntington Beach California Power Plant from Costa Mesa. I have heard talk that it is going to be torn down although I have not confirmed it.
But with that in mind I decided to paint it from afar. The idea of it eventually disappearing from the landscape as new life springs up.

The power plant is pale in comparison to the vibrancy of the foreground.

The lively brighter vegetation painted with a sort of lyrical rhythm, pulsating with life while the background, nearly monochromatic, dissipates into the coastal atmosphere.268

2 comments:

  1. Hi David,
    I love the contrast you have achieved between the foreground and background. It does indeed pulsate with life and vibrancy - and dare I say triumph! I love the way the old power plant is wraith-like - as if it's already just a memory of what once stood.
    You've really achieved what you set out to do and I love it!
    I saw in your comment to Michael that you might be at risk of mudslides? I hope you get some nice conservative weather soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Wendy,
    This was one that just 'fell out of me' and onto the board.
    I like those. We need that sometimes don't we?

    I should add it was also an attempt to do something a little more mainstream, a bright landscape, but still sneak in the industrial subject. But sshhh!, don't tell anyone OK?

    Mudslides? Yep, we had some in some areas thanks to 2 or 3 days of hard unrelenting rain as well as pounding surf.
    The news said we had more rain in 3 days than we had in the last 3 years!
    The problem of course is we sometimes get it all at once.
    Keep painting...

    ReplyDelete