Thursday, October 18, 2012

Past Work 2























"Murphy's Law"
mixed media on illus. board
9.5" x 9.5" (24.13cm x 24.13cm)
NSF

Here is another past experimental piece done at the same time as the previous post.
This one is gouache, ink and acrylic paint.

The difference in this one from the previous is the acrylic paint. Part of the experimentation was beginning with the gouache and ink then finishing with another medium, just seeing what I could do.
My experimental work is often left in an unfinished state or is not refined so as to not lose the freshness of the process, allowing me to easily see the steps, and is more akin to drawing than painting.
Having fun, no pressure.191

Click on image for larger view

2 comments:

  1. Hello David!
    Really enjoy these last two works. So very, very different.
    I love the "have fun no pressure" approach.
    I am imagining both pieces on a much larger scale. Fun! A museum's walls covered with pieces like these would be very dramatic indeed!
    Maybe we will see more modern caricatures done by you in the future?
    Thanks for posting. It is nice to see the many sides of artists!
    Bravo!
    Your East Coast Art Buddy,
    Michael

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Michael,
    I know I can always count on you for positive feedback, Thank you.
    I have a couple more from back then to post so stay tuned.
    Its good to go back through storage every so often. I re-find this experimental work that I may have forgotten about and it can serve as a new seed to other things, oh how quickly we forget!

    That is the point of experimenting right? To feed our work and avoid becoming stale or complacent.

    Funny thing... I forgot how much I enjoy the portrait... so maybe you will see more in the future indeed.

    Your West Coast Art Buddy,
    Keep painting...

    ReplyDelete