Sunday, March 9, 2014

Catalina Pacific Concrete - Ruins Study 2

"Catalina Pacific Concrete - Ruins Study 2"
watercolor on paper, 2014
5¾"  x 7¾" (14.605cm x 19.685cm)
For sale at Daily Paintworks, CLICK HERE

This study is almost not recognizable as architecture at first look. I don't mind. That in itself might be a contemporary sensibility.

The point of doing studies is searching and one reason for doing these small is to record as quickly as possible my impressions without getting hung up on one for long. My mind is ripe with ideas and I must get them down. Sometimes our initial thoughts are the best ones.

A close-in detail study like this will familiarize me with all the shapes with-in the greater picture.
My mindset here was the rough jagged torn up steel and concrete presented in a soft light. Two opposites.271

2 comments:

  1. These studies are awesome David, and thank you for talking about the large value areas. Where can I learn more about the concept of 'staging' the contrasting values effectively when planning my pieces? I want to do some reading about that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Katherine, and Thank you!
    I sent an email to you. There are a ton of sources on this.
    Do a web search, keyword ' values in art' 'value in drawing painting' etc.
    Also see "Gurney Journey" blog, "Stapleton Kearns" blog and "Muddy Colors" blog for additional instructional info.
    Use the search box at upper left, keyword 'value' .

    Another good, plain and simple explanation is the Ted Kautsky book "Painting Trees and Landscapes in Watercolor", see page 8-9 on value arrangement.
    Still available at book stores.

    Keep painting (drawing)...

    ReplyDelete