Friday, August 1, 2014

Road w/ Pipeline

















"Road w/ Pipeline"
oil on panel, 2014
6" x 9" (15.24cm x 22.86cm)
For Sale at DAILY PAINTWORKS, CLICK HERE
Direct link to painting here

Here's a landscape not far from home. It's an unstable area under constant land movement as it slowly slides into the Pacific Ocean. Because of this the pipeline must be above ground and the road requires year round maintenance. After a rain the road can get cracks and vertical drops of several inches overnight.

To make for a better midday painting and give the hillside a dark richness and I dropped in a soft shadow from passing overhead clouds. That also made for a better separation of foreground and background.288

4 comments:

  1. Hey Buddy! Remember me! Love this one! Also love the accompanying text! In many ways this landscape reminds me of David Hockney's landscapes! Love the dark almost foreboding hill and bright winding road! Maybe it's the way you handled the road that gives it this "Hockney Effect!" Another nice one David! Take care and of course keep on painting!
    Your Kind Of Painting Lately Painting Slowly? Art Buddy!
    Michael

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Michael,
    Do remember, thank you, glad you like. This one has been on my list of to-do places to paint and oh! a long list it is, finally got around to it. Hockney? Who knew? Yeah he does do a lot of roads doesn't he? Thanks!
    I am painting... just have not posted here in a while, I am all over the map with subjects and experimenting lately. Take care and...
    Keep painting... fast or slow...
    Your painting lately at a medium speed Art Buddy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi David, just catching up on your blog! Love the composition here and the mood of the piece. Is that the wisp of a contrail I spy to the right of the sky?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aaaah Wendy! Good eye for the sky! Yes, I sneak them in when I can. You know me, I like the presence of man in my work. Rarely do I do the pure landscape.
    Thanks for visiting and
    Keep painting...

    ReplyDelete