Thursday, December 12, 2013

Old House - Zorn Palette

"Old House (Zorn Palette)"    SOLD
watercolor on paper, 2013
5" x 7" (12.7cm x 17.78cm)
DAILY PAINTWORKS
Direct link to painting here

This is another in Anders Zorn palette of ivory black, white, yellow ochre and vermillion.
This I did from the photo on the DPW Challenge. I normally don't use someone else's photo but I did like the old abandoned house and they shot the pic from a good angle.

I am finding out by these two that the Zorn palette does not really translate well into watercolor (see last post). For one the ivory black does not give a very good cool blueish gray when mixed with white. I very rarely use tube black in watercolor or oil, preferring to use a chromatic black mixed from ultramarine or cobalt blue and burnt sienna.
Also white mixed into watercolor acts very different than white mixed into oil.256

2 comments:

  1. That's a very beautiful painting! Now that you've tried the Zorn palettes, it might be time for the Teter palette to emerge. Sounds like you're discovering what combinations work best for you, individually. That's exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Katherine,
    Thank you. It was good to give it a go. Every so often I like to try something different. I don't see myself using this a lot but it does make you look at the whole of the painting in terms of value and warms cools instead of color.
    Keep painting...

    ReplyDelete