Thursday, May 27, 2010

Saturated Hues 2



"Gorman Spring"
oil on panel, 2007
5" x 7" (12.7cm x 17.78cm)
private collection

This was done after visiting Gorman California a few years back. Gorman is in the mountain pass north of Los Angeles and is known for it's spring wildflowers turning the hills into a patchwork of bright saturated hues.

You won't see this subject from me very often, as I'm not much of a floral artist. But in this case I really approached it from more of a landscape point of view.

My take on it includes the presence of man, a common motif in my work. The barbed wire fence in the foreground, road and power poles in the middle ground, and a favorite... contrails overhead. Contrails are fun because they allow me to carve up the sky, giving it some... substance, but without always having to rely on clouds.36
Click on image for larger view

No comments:

Post a Comment