Saturday, July 28, 2012

Value Thumbnails 4























"Seaside Rocks" value thumbnails
pencil on paper, 2012
page 11" x 8.5" (27.94cm x 21.59cm)
NSF

In addition to a study of values, the purpose of quick thumbnail drawings like these is to record the directional planes. The benefit is not having to reinterpret forms when further developing the thumbnails into mid-sized black and white or color comps then into a painting.

Any kind of visual shorthand is useful when recording information.... other notations like handwritten  notes can be added, indicating colors etc., working out potential problems before beginning a painting.186

Click on image for larger view

2 comments:

  1. Hi David,
    David,
    Thanks for the thumbnails and the valuable information. Now I have to discipline myself to use it.
    I love your blog. Educational and pleasurable!
    I very much enjoy your art.
    Thanks for posting for all to enjoy.
    Take care.
    Your art buddy,
    Michael

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Michael,
      Thanks for visiting and your always kind comments.
      I'm currently busy on a new body of work so no new paintings to post yet . I thought I would post preliminary work for a while.
      Glad you enjoy.
      Keep painting...

      Delete